Making a couch from wooden pallets

20110417-045450.jpg

Aaron has been inspired to fill a gap in our lounge with a handmade couch, and when he found some suitable wooden pallets going free, a plan formed in his head.

He made the bottom half by trimming one pallet down to the correct depth to fit some cushions we already had. The back was put together from a second dismantled pallet. There are 4 upright supports, put onto a comfy angle by just fitting them between the bottom slats before attaching the horizontal slats with screws.

Total cost? £3 for the screws :) (wood: free, cushions: free, drill: borrowed)

20110417-045518.jpg

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

This entry was posted in Making and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Making a couch from wooden pallets

1. Lotte says:

I am totally inspired! We have a few lying around which were intended for a compost bin I don’t think we’ll ever make… I think the garden needs a couch instead. Go Aaron!

2. Faith says:

So cute! Where did you find your cushions at ?

3. Kristi Cookson says:

How did you make the cushions?

4. Mary says:

I’m wondering if you could explain exactly how you attached the back so that it is sturdy and doesn’t slip ever? I guess I am a little behind on my handiness!

• Rachel says:

Hi Mary, I hope this helps… remove one side of slats from the palette that is the back of your couch, and drop it down vertically between two slats on the base. Depending on the pallets you have you may not get much room to tilt the back; this was our case so we moved the last slat on the base to allow for an angle. This is why the slat behind the back is missing in the photo of the construction. We also screwed the back to the base in multiple points. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

• Wanda Evans says:

Could you tell me what rechargeable screwdriver and length of screws you used. Thanks looks great.

• Rachel says:

Hi Wanda, we just borrowed a friend’s Dewalt 18V cordless drill for the job. The screw length you need depends on the thickness of the two pieces of timber (Aaron says it’s the “3/4 rule”) you want the screw to be long enough to go into both, but not so long it comes out the other side. Usually, an 1.5″ screw will be enough, but it does depend on the pallets you have. Hope that helps, and happy building!